Sunday, August 8, 2010

SCBWI LA Conference

Catherine has yet to tell me the names of everyone that contributed to me going to LA for the Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference, so I can't thank you all individually. However, I can tell you that it meant the world to me that you did. Everyone keeps asking what I learned while I was there, and that's kind of a hard question to answer. Mostly, I learned that I am doing everything wrong. I went to classes with speakers ranging from famous writers to big name agents, publishers, editors and art directors. I now know that I need an agent, most likely a literary agent who handles illustrators instead of an artist representative. I know that the $300 I just spent on marketing materials was a waste of money and that while my website is probably formatted correctly, the content is mostly wrong. So now I have direction and a path to follow and hopefully will not feel as lost as I have been. So thank you all once more for hopefully putting me on track and one step closer to my goal of becoming an illustrator.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Joanna, one of my most favorite parts of the whole experience was meeting you! I hope we stay in touch and encourage each other until we are on the other side of that podium! Then we can laugh when we are sitting in the 'cool circle' and pretending we don't notice the people sitting on the side taking secret pictures of US! Lol! Love ya! (even if you do live in Texas)

Elizabeth Grimes said...

That's great! I'm glad you learned what tools you need to get there, cuz you definitely have the talent. Good luck!